Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Rapier Whit -- behind the scenes?

So a lot of you have emailed to ask me something along the following lines:

"Jared, I love Rapier Whit. But I can't help but wonder, what do your co-workers think of this?"

Excellent question. As a "Hill rat" in a thriving Capitol Hill office, obviously, the subject of politics comes up every now and again. Thankfully, my coworkers and superiors have been supportive, nay, encouraging, of my random, vaguely Romney-related blogging. I think I helped win Rapier Whit some street cred when, whilst in Iowa, I was able to get links from Utah Policy Daily, the premiere website for Utah news junkies. (And who among us, frankly, isn't such an junkie?)

Anyway.

Several co-workers have commented on my need to explain the blog name. When I told one friend in the office about the blog, she scolded, "Rape your wit? Jared!"

...

But I'm reasonably optimistic she was just teasing me.

The term "Rapier Whit" is a reference to the fencing sword of the same name, and then a clever, albeit obvious, play on my last name. ("Whitley" = "Witty"; "Whit = "Wit")

Inigo Montoya: You are using Bonetti's Defense against me, ah?
Man in Black : I thought it fitting considering the rocky terrain.



One co-worker today told me he thought my writing was more like "squeegee whit" than "rapier whit." I guess he figures a squeegee, while technically bladed, is not particularly sharp. Ha ha. This is the same co-worker, however, is the one with whom I have - perhaps unwisely - made a wager that Mitt Romney will beat John McCain in McCain's home state of Arizona. So he might be entitled to denigrate my mental powers.

No comments:

Counter

Web Counters