Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Wolverine State: "I was born ready"

A few years ago, I decided to memorize all the nicknames for these United States. Allow me to say that this small act has reaped huge benefits. Example of a conversation that may or may not have happened with one of my fellow Hill staffers:

Stranger: "Hi, I'm from Tennessee."
Me: "Oh, the Volunteer State?"
S: "Yes! How did you know that?"
M: "Well, Tennessee sent more volunteers for the Revolutionary War than anywhere else, right?"
S: "Actually, I think it was the War of 1812, but I'm impressed you knew that!"

That being said, I knew instantly when Mitt Romney won the state of Michigan yesterday that he had conquered in the Wolverine State. It was so nicknamed because of a booming trade in wolverine hunting and trapping in the early 19th Century. (If I'm wrong, tell me: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michigan.)


So as far as I can tell, as the winner of the Wolverine State, Mitt Romney is just as cool as X-Men super-star, Wolverine.


As a youth, reading X-Men comic books, I vividly recall Wolverine's hard-boiled catch-phrases like, "I was born ready."

I think when it comes to Presidential politics, someone like Mitt Romney was "born ready."

...

Or, if he wasn't, at least his extensive resume qualifies him for the job. Still. That wouldn't sound particularly tough in a comic book:

Storm: "Wolverine, are you ready?"
Wolverine: "I was born ready!"

vs.

Storm: "Wolverine, are you ready?"
Wolverine: "My extensive resume qualifies me for the job."

3 comments:

Bryan Hickman said...

I think if Mitt Romney were Wolverine (we'll call him "Wolveromney), the exchange would go something like this:

Storm: "Wolveromney, are you ready?"

Wolveromney: "I think that if, you were to compare me to Senator McCain or Governor Huckabee, I'm the mutant super hero that has the most experience and is most qualified to bring change to Magneto. As I've traveled through Iowa, I've noticed one thing...(awkward pause)...people are tired of the Magneto status quo. I've heard that over and over again. Senator McCain, on the other hand, is a Magneto insider. He opposed Professor X's tax cuts and supports amnesty for illegal space aliens. So, in answer to your question, Storm, I would have to say that, of all the possible mutant super heroes that you and the American people have to choose from, I'm the only one who will be able to bring change to Magneto."

Storm: "So...you ARE ready, then?"

Wolveromney: "Yes...yes I am. I just want to add that Governor Huckabee is not now, nor will he ever be ready."

Storm: "...okay then."

Emily said...

Enjoyed this blog a lot, enjoyed Bryan's comment even more.

edw204 said...

The only problem with this otherwise wonderful analogy, of course, is that Wolverine is a Canadian citizen, and therefore unable to run for the presidency of the United States. Alas.

Counter

Web Counters