Monday, February 4, 2008

Super Bowl Super Tuesday

By nature, I am not a sports fan. If I'm going to have a sporting event on in the background, chances are it's for ironic value, or it's a Utah Jazz game and it's 1997.

However.

Yesterday was Super Bowl Sunday and a guy in my ward invited me to a Super Bowl party, so of course I was going to attend. Granted, I spent most of the time reading a copy of "The Economist" and talking to friends about Super Tuesday, but still -- at least I was there.

So waking up this morning, I felt like I had done my due diligence as an American. I expected to get a recap of the game when I picked up my morning "Post Express" today, and I was a little disappointed that the editors of the front page had dedicated more space to what is essentially an ad for the Obama campaign than to the Super Bowl.



I do not usually go into the whole "liberal media" bashing that is extant amongst so many conservative bloggers. However, as a former journalist, I understand that some days, it's not a newspaper, it's a sportspaper. Monday after the Super Bowl is certainly one of those days. But the chowderheads who did the Post Express decided it was a better opportunity to blow yet ANOTHER kiss to a candidate who's high on bloviation, but low on substance.

I am astonished, and impressed, however, that The New York Times gave the right amount of front-page game v. campaign coverage.


(Of course, that may be because the Giants won, but I'll take it where I can get it.)

3 comments:

Emily said...

Wow.

Bryan Hickman said...

Here's the thing, dawg...the WaPo Express has an earlier press time than most newspapers and the game didn't get over until very late in the evening. So, if they were gonna do a full front-pager on the Super Bowl, it wouldn't have included stuff like the score or, you know, details.

Not that there's not a liberal bias in the news. But, there's a logical explanation for this one.

michelango said...

i've always considered obama a bloviater (or is it -or?). a good bloviater, but a bloviater nonetheless.

Counter

Web Counters