Thursday, January 21, 2010

Book Report: The Female Brain

So I just finished this book "The Female Brain" by Dr. Louann Brizendine. I found a copy of it at Goodwill for like 50 cents a few months ago. Then I read the whole thing. It seems to have pretty good scientific chops but it's still concise and easy to get through.

The main premise is that while it has been politically incorrect to say that a woman's brain is different than a man's, it is biologically incorrect to say that it is not. Thanks to modern imaging technology (MRI, etc.) neuroscientists have been able to map out precisely differences not only between men and women, but between men and women at different phases of their life. The bits on the menopausal brain are interesting, but so far removed from my foreseeable future I was not as interested in the other bits.

I'd recommend it.



5 comments:

Whitleypedia said...

Oh and I also reread "Eating the Dinosaur" today - man that book is fantastic. My dream is to one day be labeled "the Mormon Chuck Klosterman." (Or maybe he could be the Gentile Jared Whitley...)

Jolee said...

Oh man, I should have read that before finishing my thesis for grad school... I wrote my paper on the differences in how boys and girls learn (focusing mostly on middle school age) based on the differences in the brain. Very interesting subject indeed! I'll have to see if I can pick that book up (hopefully for fifty cents!)

Kate said...

It turns out our literary paths after crossed after all . . .

Molly said...

The Female Brain for 50 cents. Thanks for not making the obvious joke.

On a more serious note, I think the problem is not that the female brain is DIFFERENT, but that the male brain is seen as normal and the female brain is therefore abnormal. It's the same with lots of things. For instance, drugs are often tested just on men. Oh, they react differently to women's bodies? How abnormal. I don't think women would be so eager to say they were "same" if "different" didn't mean "inferior." But this may just be my rant for the day. Oh, and I think we are different, in case that lends any credibility to my aforementioned rant.

Whitleypedia said...

Molly, that is an excellent point, and it's one the author makes several times.

Counter

Web Counters