Friday, June 25, 2010

Old School Advertising

This is a collection of "Mad Men"-era advertisements that I find hilarious. My mother forwarded them to me.

We had a Kenwood at my house growing up. This ad looks like it's from the '80s, which is odd methinks...


This one looks like something from "South Park"...


You know, we had a saying on our mission: "The more doors you knock, the cuter your wife gets..." Kind of the same thing, but in reverse...


For a better start in life, start cola earlier? Holy crap! Although that kid kind of looks like my dad did as a baby. I love the statement that "laboratory tests" have proven that cola makes your baby more popular when he's a teenager. How did they purport to prove this?


This one's the same:


OK this one is obviously sexual, with the phallic cigar and the word "blow" ... it seems like the kind of thing from a copy of "Playboy" in the 1970s (I assume).


This one is pretty disturbing. I mean, you'd think that, like the previous one, they might try to use sex to subconciously communicate that you should purchase a product. But this is not a consensual spanking game ... this woman is in genuine peril. Yowza!


The headline on this one is probably probably telling the truth (at the time):



Speaks for itself...


3 comments:

Emily said...

If my only options for Christmas presents were small appliances I'd definitely cry.

Molly said...

Seeing these ads makes me understand Gloria Steinem, the Feminine Mystique, and even praying to Mother in Heaven a lot better. I love the 21st century!

Jolee said...

So cool!! I'm totally going to use some of these in my classroom when teaching generation differences. Love it!

Counter

Web Counters